Library Doors Reopen
Posted September 8, 2020
The Monroe County Library System is pleased to announce the re-opening of library branches to the public, by appointment, on Monday, September 14, 2020.
“After safely providing curbside service for three months, we are moving on to the next phase of our re-opening plan,” said Nancy Bellaire, Director of the Monroe County Library System.
Re-Opening By Appointment
- Libraries will be open by appointment for patrons to browse open collections and use the computers
- Appointments will be available in one hour increments. Contact your local branch to set up an appointment.
- Walk-ins will be accommodated when possible, until facilities reach capacity. In keeping with recent guidelines and Executive Orders, branches will be operating at reduced capacity
- Curbside service remains an option for those who prefer a touchless library experience
- Computers will be self service, and available for one hour sessions
When Visiting Our Branches
Patrons will be asked to comply with health orders and best practices as outlined by the CDC and local health officials. This includes:
- Wearing face coverings
- Maintaining social distance
- Frequent hand washing
Keeping the Community Safe
Throughout the Monroe County Library System, enhanced safety protocols have been put in place to protect both patrons and staff. All library staff have received COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Training and will be wearing face coverings. Plexiglas shields have been installed at each of the 16 branches of the Monroe County Library System. Increased disinfecting schedules, particularly for high-touch surfaces, have been established.
Copy, Fax, and Mobile Printing Services
All branches are now providing mobile printing, allowing patrons the opportunity to print from their personal devices.
Need help with mobile printing? Click here.
At this time, no library branch is accepting donations of used books.
Dropbox and Returned Items
- Previously borrowed books may be returned to library drop boxes
- There will be no late fees on returned materials
- To minimize the spread of the COVID-19 virus, all items are quarantined for a period of 4 days upon return to the Library. Items will remain checked-out on patron accounts during this quarantine time, but no late-fees will be accrued. After 4 days of quarantine, items will be checked-in and will no longer appear on patron accounts
Education at Home
The Library is actively striving to support parents and students in search of educational resources during the challenges brought on by COVID-19. A collection of reliable online resources have been refined especially for children, middle and high school students, college students, adults preparing for certification or extended education, and educators.
Not sure what to read next? Try the Library’s Personalized Recommendation Service. Complete a recommendation form and a librarian will create a customized reading list for you. We will contact you as soon as possible with our recommendations.
Senior Delivery Services
To inquire about Senior Delivery or curbside service for senior patrons, please call 734-241-5770 and ask for Library in Motion.
Need a Library Card?
Download a MCLS Library Card Registration Form and return it to your local branch.